Thursday, April 25, 2024

Final Blog Post

 Our Relationship with Technology


Technology is something that I have never been without. Ever since I can remember, I have always owned some type of device. First, I had an iPad mini that I won in a contest. Then I got my first phone at 8 years old. From then on, I would go through a series of different phones and become exposed to television. Now, as a college student, I have my first-ever laptop. 


Reading through my extensive history with technology, one may claim that my relationship with it is unhealthy. However, I think the primary idea that sets me apart from much of my generation is my awareness of device usage and my intentions behind that usage. For instance, my iPad Mini was used to create birthday videos for my parents using Video Star editing tools. I believe if we are aware of how we allocate our screen time, we shouldn't be as fearful of the harmful effects of technology. It is when we are oblivious to the downsides that it becomes a dangerous relationship.


This concept can emphasized in Steve Cutts' video entitled "MAN." The man in the video is exploiting all of Earth's resources with a big smile on his face, as though he doesn't have a care in the world about the consequences of his actions. While there are many benefits of the innovation of humanity throughout the years, we must be careful not to be blinded by greed and growth. We as a society have made multiple great advancements, but we shouldn't let it get to the point where we are ignorantly harming the environment and other beings. Ultimately, the healthiness of our relationship with things like technology boils down to our approach to the relationship.

While I view my personal relationship with technology as healthy, I understand that there may be existing bias and that there is room for improvement. After watching The Mad World Remix of Moby Video (Are You Lost In The World Like Me), I noticed people being glued to their phones regardless of the world around them was a common motif. They would fall in sewer holes and wouldn't respond to the main character poking them. It made me question what I am missing in my real life due to my focus on my digital life. At the end of the day, this is an important thought process for people to go through because our digital lives aren't what we are living.



There is power and potential in technology. This has been apparent not only in all the videos we've watched but also in all the class lessons we've heard. The main caveat is that we can often harness this power and potential negatively. Moving forward as a society, we must ask ourselves: are we intentionally using our phones and resources for good, or are we heedlessly indulging in our consumption? 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Blog Post

 Our Relationship with Technology Technology is something that I have never been without. Ever since I can remember, I have always owned som...